Persophone N. Greek Mythololgy. Περσεφονη

The goddess queen of the underworld, wife of the god Hades, she was also the goddess of spring growth. Goddess halfway out of the dark.

This is a blog to chronicle my delv into the world of pole dancing being a plus sized girl.

Monday, February 4, 2013

About flexibility

Truth be told, you don’t have to be flexible to be a pole dancer. But then again it doesn’t hurt. After all you will never fully get your Jade if you can’t do the splits and you will never get cocoon without back flexibility.  That’s just the truth. True you can make amazing routines without these moves but we want to learn ALL the moves. I know I do, and I can’t even climb yet!

So keeping with my pole goals this year I’m starting to work on my splits now so that by the time I can try to attempt these moves I can do them with ease. Or at least more ease then learning the move and not having the flexibility when I get there.

To mark my progress I’ve taken some photos of where I am not with  my splits



Front splits:

Left side first:

Right ride first:


I have a long way to go yet but I think with slow and steady work I can do it!  I’ve found several lists of stretches to help you get there (stretches for tight hips and 8 stretches to help you get your splits are just a few) and on Saturday I took my first aerial yoga class! 

 Look at all those pretty silks hanging next to those chrome poles!



Unfortunately, like most of my pole classes I am too busy doing the work to get pictures of myself doing it but let me tell you it was amazing! And a little painful, more so than I thought it was going to be because for some of the hangs the hammock needs to be bunched up and thin and is supporting your body weight (think cheese and wire) but I’m sure, that like pole, it is a sort of pain that you get used to or overcome as you get stronger. but Holly (the instructor) was amazing and helped everyone who needed it and created an atmosphere of calm and positive energy. But, oh my! It was crazy intense! In a good way. I hope to take more soon, if only I have more money to take all the classes! My studio also offers belly dancing classes! Why don't i have unlimited funds? i can barely afford my class a week as it is *le sigh* oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment